Guidance - Smarter travel
Encouraging public transport & car sharing
Perhaps if your staff and visitors live too far to travel actively, you can still help promote public transport and car sharing. Here are some of our ideas to help inspire you:
- Join Kent Journey Share - a free car sharing platform which tells you if someone is travelling your way.
- Plan your journeys on Kent Connected, a sustainable travel planning website which will also give you extra information on travelling sustainably in your area.
- Print and promote the most up to date public transport timetables and ensure these are available for staff and visitors
- If your business is remote, you can provide shuttle buses that link to railway stations and town centres.
- Provide interest-free loans for public transport season tickets for staff.
- Encourage your staff and visitor to use public transport for business travel.
- Did you know Ashford International, Canterbury West and Tonbridge rail stations have cycle hire facilities? You can hire a Brompton bike for just £2.50 per day.
- If all else fails, could you encourage your staff to work from home or work remotely? You could use the grant as an opportunity to apply for new IT equipment, cloud software, or video conferencing to avoid having to travel at all.
Encouraging sustainable travel